Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Jimmy's Back

Wow...I've really been neglecting this weblog. Then again, you've all been neglecting it, so I've an excuse. Sometimes I need an audience to motivate me to write. Let's hope this does not strike me during my NaNoWriMo adventures, because while I still have full intentions to go forward with all that insanity, if it sucks A LOT, you probably won't get to read it. Sorry. I know it's going to suck at least a little, since I've basically done no planning, and no research. There's just one phrase I've been turning over in my mind since I read a few chapters from the memoirs of a British colonial Governor's wife: "When someone asks you to be Viceroy of India, you don't turn them down." My own work, all 14 words. You may hold your applause until the novel's completion. I've also thought about McCarthyism, Mars, and swashbuckling. Depending on how starved I am for inspiration, they may all make an appearance.


Anyway, back to the title, and the purpose of this post!
















I'm listening to Jimmy Eat World's new album, Chase This Light. Initial impressions are quite positive. Basically, it's Jimmy Eat World...about what you'd expect. "Gotta Be Somebody's Blues" has an interesting, complex sound, if it's a little on the "poor me" side. Though I'm not all the way through, I'd say there seems to be a bit more "If You Don't, Don't", and "Futures", and a little less "Get It Faster", "Nothingwrong", and "Just Tonight". But alas, having essentially no familiarity with their pre-commercialized body of work, I don't think I'm qualified to make sweeping statements about their stylistic trends. I'll save that for the not-as-good-as-Morning View-but-I-still-like-it-anyway Incubus albums.

No comments: