Sunday, October 21, 2007

I'm Not THAT Impressed

Sure, seven weeks into his rookie season, he's leading the NFL in rushing while sharing time at running back with Vikings veteran Chester Taylor, but Adrian Peterson's recent awesomeness is not any real surprise to me...













...nor should it be to anyone who watched him regularly while he wore crimson and cream every Saturday. In his 3 years at OU, he averaged around 135 yards per game and scored 40 touchdowns during the regular season. People who've watched the Sooners in the last three years know his potential for game-changing awesomeness - they've seen it time and time again. I'm sure we all remember those plays when he'd run into a crowd of defenders on the line, then somehow emerge, turning a potential loss into a big gain, the times he'd literally knock all the defenders that got in his way to the ground, and when he'd fake a linebacker out of his socks, then outrun the entire secondary with his astounding speed. On the biggest national stage, however, Peterson was considerably less exciting. During his three bowl games, Peterson averaged only 81 yards per game, and scored two touchdowns, both against Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl. Of course, now that he's a high-profile NFL rookie, everyone's aware of just what he can do against quality defenses. I'm not trying to belittle his accomplishment, far from it. If he keeps this up, he'll be a lock for rookie of the year. All I'm trying to say, is that this is not news to me; from AD, this is what I expect.

2 comments:

Jason Johnston said...

AD reminds me of Payton Manning a little bit. Except for the obvious difference in positions. What I mean is Manning wasn't anything spectacular right after he left Tennessee. But look at him now. A Superbowl win already under his belt and another one quite possibly on the way. I'm interested to see how Peterson will do in the next five years or so.

Jason Johnston said...

Oh, and in response to your question on my page, Feodore lives in my apartment in Weatherford.