Sunday, March 22, 2009

"MORE!" They Cried!

Well, sort of, anyway. Since at least one of you demands more, I feel I must oblige. Now, obviously, I've been a little light on inspiration of late, and when I go back to one old standby (ranting about politics) I'm either misunderstood, or nobody cares, so I figure I'll go back to another old standby. You're not going to like it.

That's right. I'm going to review stuff.

I told you you weren't going to like it. Now, to be honest, I do have a fairly ambitious little writing project bouncing around in my head, though I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate for this space, seeing as it would be a tribute to a work that's never been published in any real capacity. But, that is another post for another time, and a project I'd really rather keep under my hat for the time being.

For the first review, I'll start small.

Keane, a "piano rock" group from Battle, East Sussex, England, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, has taken up the recently popular trend of artists, publishers, etc. having their own YouTube channels. On their channel, they've got music videos, behind the scenes stuff, and other little oddities. One of the nice little gems you can find here is what they refer to as a "live mash." It's a bit of a tribute cover for two different songs: "Another One Bites the Dust," by fruity yet bad-ass defunct rock group Queen, and "Dance Wiv Me," by British rapper who I had to look up on Wikipedia Dizzee Rascal, featuring Scottish songwriter/producer who I also had to look up on Wikipedia Calvin Harris. The result is the bizarre yet beautiful "Another One Bites the Dizzee." Basically, it's the verses and baseline from "Another One Bites the Dust" with the chorus and melody from "Dance Wiv Me." I found that once I got past the original "What were they thinking?" reaction, I rather enjoyed it. Keane singer Tom Chaplin's voice is a great match for Freddie Mercury's, and when you put the addictive baseline of "..Dust" together with the too-catchy-for-its-own-good melody of "Dance...," well, I don't know... it just works! They mesh so well! If I weren't familiar with one of the songs already, I would have sworn this was the original, which is, I think, the best compliment any cover (mash-up or otherwise) can receive. Hats off to Keane then, I suppose!


No comments: