Friday, January 26, 2007

I know everybody hates when I review movies...

...so I'll try to keep this short. Call it more of an elaborate recommendation, if you'd like.

Tonight my love affair with movies based around layered realities, where things are not what they seem on the surface continued with "Stranger than Fiction," a movie about a man who suddenly finds his mundane life being narrated. While he's the only one that can hear the narration, he refuses to believe he's insane, and makes efforts to figure out what's going on. Things soon take an interesting turn when the narrator makes a disturbing comment.



The cast of this movie did quite well. It stars Will Ferrell in a mostly serious role, which he more or less nails. Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Emma Thompson costar, all with solid performances.

"Stranger than Fiction" could be described as a dark comedy, a romance, a fantasy, or a drama. I'd say that it's a little bit of everything rolled into one, but at any rate, it certainly encourages critical thinking, especially on the subject of what doing the right thing really means. At the very least, it is a lovely look inside the mind of a man who is learning how to find his way in life. So, um....yeah. Watch it.

1 comment:

Bobby D. said...

hmm ok I will watch it--I havent heard a thing about it.
but i like will farrell.